Wednesday 1 January 2014

Favourite Tangles

January's challenge (Number 22) for the Chocolate Baroque Zentangle Group has the remit to use your favourite tangles & say why you like to use them.

I tend to gravitate towards tangles based on grids, have a love of Celtic artwork & hence particularly enjoy tangles that weave plus I like to see what effect small variations in the basic tangle pattern can have upon the final result. The three tangles I chose to illustrate these points are:

  • Auraknot - a tangle that weaves & can be varied by the number of points that are skipped when constructing the initial aura line. The central star skips one point, the top right skips two points & the bottom left skips three points.
  • Hurry - another weaving tangle. In my two examples I varied the number of lines used for each band. The top left star uses three lines & the bottom right uses five.
  • W2 - this tangle is based upon a grid & has an over & under weaving effect. I love using this for a background as it balances more intricate tangles beautifully.

tangles: Auraknot, Hurry, W2

close-up central star showing gold 'aura'

My tile was edged with a black marker (Memento) prior to mounting onto a larger square of black cardstock with rounded corners. A Faber-Castell Polychromos pencil with a dry paper stump was used for shading & a Sakura Metallic Gelly Roll gel pen for the gold 'aura'.

11 comments:

Elaine said...

Stunning and precise work, you should be delighted with what you have achieved here. I love the blue shading in the woven background and the touches of gold add a real feeling of an illuminated manuscript! Really beautiful. Elaine x

alexandra s.m. said...

This is once again absolutely stunning Paula!
I hope 2014 brings you nothing but Happiness, success and continuous good Health!
Hugs~

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Gorgeous Zentangle artwork Paula, love the shading and the touch of gold. Happy New Year & wishing you all the best in 2014, Shirleyx

brenda said...

A lovely choice Paula, it touch selecting isn't it.

I really like how you added that little touch of gold to draw the eye to the central element, yet you look at all five independently.

And that intricate weave background really amazes me - I am right in that it is all tangle work, I do hope so.

B x

Alice said...

this is beautiful, paula, i was looking at it and just couldn't see the W-2 to start with. haha! i am so used to looking at tiny detail that i missed the big picture - these tangles look great together!

Aquarius said...

I just admire (and envy) your precision with the tangles - these go so well together and really illustrate your words. I've been bad about taking part of late but will try to join in as and when I can.

Anonymous said...

I wish we lived near each other, I would be begging you for lessons. That is a beautiful piece of tangling.

Miranda said...

This is a beautiful and lovely piece of tangling Paula. Like that gold on it, great combination.
wishing you a happy, healthy and creative 2014! Looking forward to your comments and work! warm greet Miranda

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

You literally started the year with a bang with these stunning tangled stars. As you know, I love Celtic art too, so I'm enchanted with the beautiful weaving illusion you created with your line work. May 2014 be filled with blessings for you and your husband.

GinaA said...

Great basket weave background Paula, not done any tiles for ages so the name of the tangle escapes me. Your stars are shining examples with beautiful penwork, and the way you have seperated them from the background works really well. My favourite has to be the 'hurry' stars, they so look like twine, amazing.
Happy New Year.

Sally H said...

Stunning work, Paula! What an amazing start to the new year! These stars are so beautiful!